Measuring Your Child
Our children come in all shapes and sizes, so we recommend using body measurements to find the best fitting school uniform. The right fit will help your child feel comfortable and look smart. (When measuring use a flexible tape measure if possible. Alternatively, use a piece of string to take each measurement, lay it flat, and then measure the length with a standard tape measure.)
Measurements to have at hand when ordering:
- Height - standing straight against a wall and with feet (bare or with socks) flat on the floor and the back of the heels against a wall, measure from the floor to the top of the head.
- Collar – wrap the tape measure gently around the base of the neck, putting two fingers between the tape measure and the skin while you do so; this will ensure a more comfortable fit.
- Chest - place the tape measure around the fullest part of the chest, ensuring not to pull the tape measure too tight. For younger children place the tape measure a few inches below the armpit ensuring the measuring tape is level under the arms and across the shoulder blades, and for older children particularly girls the fullest part of the chest may be a little lower.
- Waist - measure around the waist at the natural waistline, usually the narrowest part of the torso. This is normally a couple of inches above the hip bone and often, but not always, in line with the bellybutton. If your child has no natural narrower part to their torso, take the waist measurement from about halfway between the bottom of the rib cage and the top of the hip bone. Pull the tape measure so it’s snug but not tight against the waist.
- Hips - measure around the hips at the widest part.
- Skirt Length - measure from the natural waist under the belly button to the desired length.
- Inside Leg - standing normally and with shoes on, measure the inner leg from the crotch to an inch or so above the ground, (your preferred length).
Choosing The Correct Garment Size
Good quality school uniform is designed to fit comfortably with room for movement, so you don’t need to add anything to the student’s body measurements when ordering. Sizing is “to fit”, (for example a 28” chest garment is manufactured to be a comfortable fit and worn with ease of movement by a student with a 28” chest; the garment measuring slightly more than 28” across the chest).
Also consider how you would like the garment to fit, a little bigger to last the year and beyond? Order a bigger size only if you are allowing room for growth.
Sizing for both boys and girls blazers is given in chest sizes. A good fitting school blazer should have room on the shoulder, sleeves falling just above the wrists, and be a comfortable fit around the waist when buttoned, with the back vent not pulling too much across the bottom. Sizing is “to fit” and will comfortably accommodate a shirt and thin jumper underneath. In addition to the chest measurement, sleeve length is measured from the shoulder to wrist and length is from the top of the shoulder at the highest point to a point around the top of the thigh.
Sizing for boys shirts is given in collar sizes. (It may also be useful to have the chest measurement to hand as it’s better to have a properly fitted chest with a slightly looser collar than a well-fitted collar and a chest that’s too small.)
Sizing for girls shirts is given in chest sizes.
Sizing for both boys and girls youth/senior trousers is given in two measurements; waist x leg length.
Sizing for both boys and girls junior trousers is given in age, with additional waist and leg length measurements for guidance.
Sizing for youth/senior skirts is given in two measurements; waist x length. When selecting skirt length take into consideration any specific skirt lengths indicated by school uniform policy, and allow for growth. (If a skirt is to be worn on the knee and measuring the student indicates a length of 18”, consider the next available skirt length to allow for growth.)
Sizing for junior skirts is given in age, with additional waist and length measurements for guidance.
Polo Shirts & Sweatshirts
Sizing for junior polo shirts and sweatshirts is given in age and senior in adult sizing eg S,M,L with the addition of chest measurements for guidance.